As a voluntary retirement savings scheme, we do not often think about KiwiSaver in relation to our children. However, did you know that you can start a KiwiSaver account for your children?
As a parent or guardian, we always want to make sure we are looking after our children and doing the best that we can to guide them through life. We think that KiwiSaver is a great tool that may offer some good financial benefits for you and your child. Below, we will go through some of these benefits that Christian KiwiSaver Scheme has to offer:
- We have no fees for anyone under 18 – we don’t charge any fees for children who have a KiwiSaver account with us.
- It is a tool to talk about finance – talking about finance is hard, even for adults. With a KiwiSaver Scheme, you can have the opportunity to have conversations about savings, investments and retirement. You can teach them valuable financial skills and habits they can take with them throughout life.
- You can give them a head start to retirement savings – by starting early, you can help start your child’s retirement savings early and help them build a larger nest egg. This may also mean that by the time they are adults, they have already formed good habits around saving for retirement when it is time for them to begin contributing to their KiwiSaver account themselves. There is also the bonus that your child can access their KiwiSaver account in the future to buy their first home.
- It shows Christian values put in practice – Christian KiwiSaver Scheme has a strong Christian history. We believe Christian KiwiSaver Scheme invests with your values. As one of the only KiwiSaver Schemes created for Christians, this is a great example to show children how Christian values can be practical in everyday life.
- It helps raise awareness about thinking ethically – We are committed to investing ethically as we believe God is active in restoring the world. We have expressed this in our robust ethical investment policy, which you can read here.
Retirement might seem such a long time away to be even thinking about KiwiSaver for your children. However, there are several benefits that you and your child can take advantage of here at Christian KiwiSaver Scheme.
If you are interested in signing up your child to Christian KiwiSaver Scheme, you can do so by reading our Product Disclosure Statement. This document also contains our Under 18 application form, which you must complete and return to us. You can view and download our Product Disclosure Statement here.
If you would like to talk to us, please feel free to contact us.